IDF stops Gaza terrorist entering Israel after grenades thrown at troops

Gazan protesters at the border fence on Saturday. Photo: Reuters

The IDF stopped yet another terrorist from entering Israel near the southern community of Kibbutz Nahal Oz, late Thursday night.

“The gunman,” as a Hamas affiliated Telegram channel referred to the attacker, approached the Gaza “security fence” and “hurled several grenades at IDF soldiers,” the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit said in a tweet.

The IDF “troops charged and stopped the terrorist,” the tweet said.

Palestinian media sources reported that the terrorist was killed by IDF troops.

The Hamas affiliated Telegram channel said the terrorist “was shot before crossing the border,” implying the armed Palestinian was attempting to enter Israeli territory.

The Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said that one Palestinian was injured after being shot in the legs by IDF troops and was subsequently taken to the Shifa Medical Complex in the Gaza Strip, where medical staff are treating the person.

The events come as violence emanating from the Hamas-run enclave has increased in recent days.

Overnight on Wednesday, the IDF struck several targets in the Gaza Strip following the launch of two rockets towards communities in southern Israel.

The IDF Spokespersons Unit said that a number of military targets in a Hamas naval facility in the northern Strip were hit in the Israeli strikes.

Six rockets have been fired from the Hamas-run coastal enclave this past week. A rocket was fired towards southern Israel on Friday night followed by three overnight Saturday. Three of the projectiles were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defence system and one struck the patio of a residential home in the community of Sderot.

This is not the first infiltration attempt seen this week. On Saturday night, shortly after rockets were fired from Gaza three armed Palestinians were killed by IDF troops while they were attempting to cross into southern Israel from Beit Hanoun.